Search Tropical Organic Garden

October 07, 2014

Mango seedling update

Here are some of the smaller mango seedlings that I started from seed.
In reality, I did not expect to have as much success as I have had. All of the seeds germinated. In fact, to my surprise, some of my palouis mango seeds produced up to 3 shoots per seed. I had to carefully separate the shoots to avoid damaging the roots. I was also pleasantly surprised to realize that mango plants are very hardy because nearly all of those seedlings also survived. 
I had to give away several of them as I was not yet ready to really tend to the garden at the time. 
growing mango from seeds. Update.
Mango seedling: Month 4. One of the smaller palouis mango seedlings that had to be separated from a group.


Regarding the image below, I planted the seedling directly into the ground with mulch of grass clippings over newspaper (with holes). This kind of barrier is so necessary since the very fast growing grass can quickly dwarf the mango tree. The man who mows the lawn is likely to miss it without this kind of barrier. However, my intention is to remove the barrier once the plant has become well established.
growing mango from seeds. Update.
Mango seedling planted in the ground. One of the smaller palouis mango seedlings that had to be separated from a group.



RELATED ARTICLES

No comments:

Post a Comment