Search Tropical Organic Garden

May 06, 2012

Kang kong in my tropical organic garden - Seedling update

This is an update on my kang kong seedlings. I am so proud! You will remember that, about a month ago, I planted some kang kong seeds.

I placed this kang kong plant on an East facing patio. It came from batch 2 of my kang kong seed germination experiment. You may remember that I soaked the seeds overnight and then sowed them in a regular seedling plant pot the next morning.
 
Kang kong, water spinach, chinese cabbage, bamboo leaf, water morning glory, swamp cabbage being growin in a pot.
My kang kong plant after about 1 month after the seeds were sowed. This particular plant is now on an East-facing patio. The plant pot sits in a saucer that holds quite a lot of water. I ensure that that never goes dry since kang kong loves wet conditions ... and it has been particularly hot and dry lately.
-->
Since kang kong plants love very wet conditions ... and this is the dry season in my already very hot tropical garden, I chose its pot because its saucer is sufficiently deep to act as a water reservoir. This should work well because my kang kong seedlings can get water whenever they need it. I never allow the planting medium (soil less potting mix) to get dry. Every morning, I make sure that I could see a little water in the saucer.


Kang kong seedling in a plant pot with a deep saucer. Water collects as a kind of self-watering reservoir.
The saucer of my kang kong acts like a water reservoir. Kang kong plants love very wet conditions and should never be allowed to dry out.

-->

LINKS ABOUT GROWING KANG KONG IN TROPICAL ORGANIC GARDENS
Garden update: Difference between kang kong plants in partial tropical sun and kang kong plants in full tropical sun (Pending)

No comments:

Post a Comment